Thursday, June 25, 2020

Multi-Engine Rating Lesson 2

Having diagrammed out the cockpit helped as I knew where everything in the checklist was (no longer searching for the carb heat or cowl and its position!)

The concepts were also not brand new - knowing what to expect helped.

The first thing I did before flying was to spend an hour on the ground with my instructor confirming the speeds from the POH (to be committed to memory) and details in the first two of the four question/answer worksheets (Multi Engine, Limitations, Landing Gear and Electricals).  I clarified a few things (Accelerate Go/Stop, Commit Time, Clarification on Take Off Briefings)

We were then off.

Taxing was still a challenge - I need to accelerate with one engine (opposite engine) to get the tires moving, then power down while turning - and straighten before I intercept the yellow taxi line.

Air exercises seemed to make more sense:
  • All checks in to be made in "Flow"
  • Steep turns (with visual checks and clearing turns)
  • HASEL checks
  • Stall - Clean, Dirty, Recovery
  • Reduced Speed 
  • Engine Outs
What became clear was that I need to commit certain checks to memory so that it can go faster (cruise check, engine recovery - i.e. after the identify, verify, gear down checklist)

I needed to lookup Steep turns as it goes fast on a Multi (need to get into 45 degrees quick and hold that altitude and regain heading quick)

Engine outs were easier but I need to be faster with the checklists.

After this lesson, at home, I printed out the checklists, indexed the POH (as the PDF pages are different from the physical book), created labels on take-off briefing, speeds and safety briefing.

I did some hanger flying so that I can be quick at the checklist items.

No comments: