Thursday, April 02, 2015

Staying IFR Current

Since I was doing IFR flying regularly I started logging VFR cross country flights for two reasons: One - to get some comfort in VFR as VFR becomes intimidating after getting used to the IFR system. Two - Speed. You depart without having to hold for IFR clearance when someone else is arriving or departing IFR at airports with Flight Service Stations.

However, the best practice to keep your IFR current is to always file IFR (even on beautiful VFR days).  This is because it doesn't take long for the six IFR hours (and six approaches) within the last six months to lapse, especially in the winter months when flying slows down due to icing conditions. To get your IFR currency back you need to need to log hours with a safety pilot which can be a drag to coordinate schedules (and the hours quickly add up!)


With my six IFR hours going past six months I checked the regs on exactly when the hours expire. I knew about the six hours, six approaches in the last six months but wasn't clear on if that rule applies within the first 12 months of doing a IFR renewal.  I checked in with my flight instructor...

"Am I reading correctly that I have to do 6 hours of IFR and 6 approaches in the last 6 months OR have done a instrument rating flight test in the past 12 months to be able to fly IFR?"

To which he said...

"Basically anytime within the 12 months after a ride you can file without any flight time restrictions;  after 12 months you need the 6-6-6 to stay current until your next ride."

So that clarified it.  Outside of the recency you need to get a IFR checkout once every 24 months.  Mine needs to be done by June 2016 so I'm set for just more than a year.  I need to keep up with the six-six-six after June 2015.







No comments: