Tuesday, July 01, 2014

IFR Group 3 Renewal on a Redbird Simulator

I had no idea what to expect on a simulator test, and hadn't met anyone else who had done their IFR renewal on a sim. The place I contacted emailed me a briefing which consisted of an auto pilot guide and their test standard guides on what Transport Canada expects for a renewal.


I didn't get a destination.  This threw me off as I am hyper-organized with flight planning, weight and balance, weather, NOTAMs, etc, and bring those printed on a clip board to demonstrate that I got this.  I emailed back asking about the destination - they said that will be given to me at the test. 

I prepared as best as I could reviewing weather, emergency procedures, regulations, departure, on-route and arrival procedures and flew up to the examination center (as it's nicer than a two hour drive, and it gives me a chance to get my head into it). (Note to self: review holds next time! Ways to enter holds, VOR holds, etc.)

After signing off a paperwork with my license, emergency contact (in case the sim goes bonkers and catches on fire?!) I met with instructor Res. I was led into the simulator room with impressive looking Redbird simulators (not as impressive as the CAE simulators though).

Since I was new to simulators, the instructor explained that there'd be a ground brief, a very, very hands on introduction to the simulator doing what will be required on the test before the actual test.  The actual test will need to be done by another examiner as TC doesn't want the instructor to also be my examiner.  He said that he is not there to give an opinion about how I fly - I have to formulate my own opinion.  He also said that anything recommended are to be followed such as power settings.

The briefing went as follows...
  • Res will be my ATC
  • I am to do everything just as I would on an actual flight
  • I will be setup on Taxiway E at runway 32 in Ottawa International (CYOW)
  • Ottawa (3 SID) departure procedure
  • Hold NW 290 degree radial on the YOW VOR standard (right) turns
  • Come back for a landing on VOR/DME 14
  • Go missed and do a vectored ILS approach to 32
The simulator had some nuances...
  • You had a checklist to get the simulator ready - follow that as you would for an actual aircraft
  • There is a GPS but you are to use the VORs and ILS for navigation and to couple it to the autopilot
  • Use autopilot on departure and don't touch turn it off until you go missed
  • Turn on the auto pilot by having the heading bug where you want it to be
  • Use the knob to set altimeter setting and press BARO
  • Use the knob to set climb to altitude and press ALT
  • Press Auto, then Head, then Arm and then Up/Down to change Vertical Speed (VS)
  • (whenever you change alt, remember to hit alt, then use the up/down to select VS)
  • Toggle between NAV and HEADING (ensuring that the NAV is selected right)
  • DON'T hit NAV until you are centered in the NAV (otherwise the auto pilot will be chasing it)
For the ground component, Res first went over the auto-pilot functions.  He then went over the YOW plates with a briefing on what is expected on the flight and told me that the briefing should always be conduced from top to the bottom of the chart (setup frequencies, read the plate, minimum altitudes, emergencies)  - this is the airline technique.

Lastly he spent some time explaining the VOR hold - hinting at how to enter (parallel), and how to have the two VOR navigation devices setup to help track it.  I usually tackle holds by hitting GPS buttons and using auto-pilot to track it, but that won't do here!  Even the chief flight examiner at my other institution said later that it's been a while since he has done anything with VORs other than basic tracking - so VOR holds would have thrown him off too.  It's worth reviewing VOR holds as Transport Canada requires anyone with a ICAO license to know how to use VOR, DME and NDB (as the old airplanes that newly minted pilots go up north to build hours on are very basic, and these pilots need to know about how to use those devices when they get in a jam.)

Here's my attempt at trying to articulate VOR holds...
  • For the VOR hold, center your primary NAV the radial FROM (so it shows you how to get there)
  • Arm the autopilot when you have it centered so that it tracks to it
  • Use the heading bug to get on the 290 track needle on the VOR
  • (go to 270 with the bug and move it to 290 when you get centered on the VOR)
  • Switch auto pilot to HEAD
  • Call ATC with entering on hold
  • Time for a minute when the VOR flag goes off (indicating you've passed the station)
  • Dial in the outbound track (290) on the secondary VOR
  • After the minute, left turn 110, then 80 (inbound track less 30 degrees) to intercept the VOR (Since 290 NW hold is a parallel entry from 320)
  • Call ATC with established on hold
  1. Once the minute is up AND the flag on the 2nd VOR goes off, do a right turn outbound 290 and time for a minute 
  2. Setup the 1st VOR to 110 (inbound track)
  3. Turn right 290 and track the 1st VOR inbound
  4. If your time is more than a minute, reduce your outbound (and vice versa)
  • Repeat at 1
Now for the simulator refresher.
  • It's very important to go through the process exactly like you would in a flight. 
  • Dial in the frequencies in the order at which the chart is written out (check ATIS, call Clearance Delivery)
  • Put in transponder code dial in the NAVs and test them
Mine departure clearance went like this...
  1. Cleared to Ottawa airport direct to VOR direct
  2. Climb runway heading 32 to 4000
  3. Contact 128.175 on departure
  4. Squak 4203
  • Go through the approach briefing (from top to bottom - not missing comm failure process)
  • Call Ground (not in this case as we were at the Taxiway)
  • Call Tower
  • Depart and dial in the auto-pilot
  • Remember to do the approach briefing
The instructor helps you along with the autopilot when required.  I needed some hints for the VOR hold, so I was dreading the actual test.

Now the actual test...

I had to wait for a couple of hours for the examiner (as he had just departed for Ottawa with a student).  I had to skip lunch as I couldn't get into town - be sure to take plenty of snacks and water to your test!

The actual test was easier because the hold was for NW 330 standard right turn (so parallel entry) but when I was getting into the hold I was cleared back.  I said exactly what I was up to so I think it made the examiner feel comfortable, but I did it mostly for my own beneift.  The thing I almost missed, but escaped as I asked clarification is if I was cleared for landing (as I missed the low and over part).  So if you aren't sure, just ask like you'd do in real life.  Also, write everything down as it might be easy to miss a reporting point or to miss an altitude to climb to.

It couldn't have gone better! He was impressed with my flying and signed me off... whoo hoo!

I did some sightseeing on the way back to the home airport...









No comments: